24 Mar 2007

French dentist wine buff

    Fri. I had some more work done on my teeth, including whitening (years of coffee and red wine had taken their toll). Afterwards the dentist (who speaks English quite well, but is apologetic about it, like a lot of French - it's because they don't like to make errors according to Polly Platt in "French or Foe"), told me to avoid tobacco, coffee and red wine. I said I didn't smoke but the red wine would be a problem.

    The conversation abruptly changed from medical considerations to a very French concern with wine. "Red wine - n'importe quelle sorte?" he asked, and said that he liked Bourgone. I tried what I thought was a safe response: "St. Emilion" ? He wasn't particularly keen on it. I admitted that actually I quite liked Australian wine (an absurdly wide category in itself). He conceded it could be good.

    But I promised to try to avoid all red wine for a while anyway and we got back to business and arranged another appointment. Where but in France, would you have a chat like that with your dentist as he's telling you to keep off the stuff ? :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a well rounded dentist visit with tips for the teeth and more.

Meilleurs voeux!!

Polly said...

After one year here, I still haven't gone to a French dentist (I've waited til I was in the States for return visits). You are courageous.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and go, as longs as that doesn't chip my tooth. Cheers.

Polly said...

After a year here I still haven't been to a French dentist (I go when I'm back in the states). You are courageous.

I'll "bite the bullet" perhaps, tho it might chip a tooth.
cheers.