18 Jun 2009

Trois Mailletz

Some people at Patricia's soirée on Sunday expressed interest in visiting the Trois Mailletz, my favourite Parisian bar, so we arranged to meet there on Tues 16th June:

On the way I did my own little tour in the tracks of Sartre and De Beauvoir, partly because I'm reading a book about them: "Dangerous Liasons".

Jardins du Luxembourg, where they were taken as children:

paris4 050-1

and where they went as students to study, flirt and discuss ideas:

paris4 035-1

De Beauvoir's early life was dominated by the Catholic religion - this is just round the corner from where she lived in Rue de Rennes:

paris4 027-1


The Ecole Normale Superiere, where Sartre was a student (she was at the Sorbonne) and where they both took their exam in philosophy for the aggregation, Sartre coming first and she second:

paris4 077-1

Trois Mailletz, Rue Galande, which is now to be Patricia's street

paris4 108-1

Ariane, from Germany, watches Meiko, who was studying opera at the Conservatoire last time I was in Paris:

paris4 099-1

Judy, from Australia:

paris4 100-1

Vanessa (US), Colin (UK), Patricia (US):

paris4 104-1

On the left, Catherine (US):

paris4 103-1

"You played it for her, you can play it for me - play it.":

paris4 105-1

Then I went on to the Caveau de la Huchette again. A lot of people were dancing, even in the interval, when I arrived:

paris4 109-1


The Brad Leali Swing Groupo (USA):

paris4 118-1



paris4 119-2

This time there were a couple of dancers I'd first seen three years ago, they looked like dance teachers, and gave a wonderful performance:

paris4 133-1



paris4 134-1




paris4 131-1

Unfortunately I was over-optimistic about just how late the Metro ran, and, at the first change of line, they announced there were no more trains:

paris4 008

paris4 001-1

So it was a cab back - worth it for another very good night in Paris:

paris4 132-1

1 comment:

David Stoyle said...

Great photos Ted. Paris inspires you!