25 Jan 2007

"Balm of hurt minds" - Angels at the table


"Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care,
The death of each day's life, sore labor's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast."


(Shakespeare, Macbeth, 2.2.35-39).



A reminder from my lovely infirmiere


I envy her ability to sleep through the loudest noises. The main drawback about this place is that the bedroom is on the road side and the men emptying the rubbish bins do so at about 5.30 am. I had fought against my resulting tiredness, struggling with drowsiness during the day, in the hope that if I didn't take a nap I'd sleep through the noise the next morning. But it didn't work. Eventually I gave in to Montserrat's suggestion and got some (apparently non-addictive) sleeping tablets. While they haven't completely sloved the problem, I do tend to sleep better and feel more energetic through the day. I recommend them to other sleep-deprived, stubborn males. But some stubbornness is appropriate, for example, M rejected my idea that I might take half a tablet if I woke up at 5.30 am. But I got her to ask the doctor, and what do you know, he said that would be OK.

Second opinion

Another visit to a dentist; the bad news is I have to lose a tooth, the good news is that contrary to the opinion of a dentist in Paris, I don't have to lose a different tooth, nor will there have to be any ssurgery on my jaw - huge relief - and it underlines the the importance of getting a second opinion (and also of going to the dentist regularly).

Angels at the table



We then had a stroll round the Etoile shopping centre, and I foolishly suggested we look round a shop with a variety of things for the house. Montserrat pounced on some plates with angels (her favourite motif). At first it was just eight dinner plates and I said that might be a bit heavy - pas de problem - I was assured.

But then it became ten dinner plates and 16 small plates ! - requiring three strong bags. Of course I carried the two heaviest and I nearly cut off my fingers by the time we got back. But then she did tell me that the plates were almost one tenth of the price of ones she'd liked in Galerie Lafayette - which made the little angels considerably more appealing to me !






Version Francaise

J'envie sa capacité de dormir malgré les bruits les plus forts. L'inconvénient principal de cet appartement consiste en ce que la chambre donne sur la rue et on entend les éboueurs à environ 5 h 30. Je m'étais battu contre la fatigue résultante, luttant avec la somnolence pendant le jour, dans l'espoir que si je n'ai pas fait un petit somme, je dormirais, malgré le bruit le matin suivant. Mais cela n'a pas marché.

Finalement, j'ai cédé à la suggestion de Montserrat et ai obtenu des somnifères (apparemment ne créant pas une dépendance). Bien que le resultat ne soit pas parfait, j'ai vraiment tendance à dormir mieux et me sentir plus énergique pendant le jour. Je les recommande à d'autres mâles têtus qui ont des problemes de sommeil. Mais une certaine obstination est appropriée, par exemple Montserrat a rejeté mon idée que je pourrais prendre la moitié d'un comprimé si je me réveille à 5 h 30. Mais le docteur m'a donné raison.

Nous nous promenions autour du centre commercial Étoile et j'ai sottement suggéré que nous entrions dans un magasin avec une variété de choses pour la maison. Montserrat a sauté sur quelques assiettes avec des anges (son motif favori). D'abord, c'était juste huit assiettes et j'ai suggéré qu'elles seraient un peu lourdes a transporter - "Pas de problème" - m'a t'elle assuré.

Du coup nous sommes revenus avec dix grandes et 16 petites assiettes ! - disposées dans trois grands sacs. Bien sûr j'ai porté les deux plus lourds qui m'ont presque coupé les doigts - c'est alors qu'elle m'a dit que les assiettes étaient presque un dixième du prix de celles qu'elle avait aimé dans Les Galeries Lafayette - ce qui m'a rendu les petits anges considérablement plus attirants !

Traduit avec l'assistance de www.reverso.net, Antidote Prisme's "correcteur" et d'un ange.


No comments: